Old Souls X
55 Breathtaking Epiphanies to Revisit
and LIVE Each Year
Every year is like the moon and its cycles. Sometimes we wax into the fullness of our life experience, embodying everything that we have learned. Other times we wane, returning back to the primitive soils of growth, discovery and self-cleansing, stripping away everything that we are not.
Whatever stage you currently inhabit in this eternal cycle, honor it, but also be aware that it will change, evolve, fade and die. Welcome to the rhythm of life!
As this year ends I want to get into a reflective place. In part, I write this article for myself knowing that it will help me to UNlearn and RElearn many things I’ve discovered and thought I’ve uncovered so far. But this article is also for you, regardless of what part of the year you’re in when you read this or what cycle in life you’re currently going through … know that all of these words are for you.
• The richest person is the world is the one that needs, wants and desires nothing.
• Discover, forgive and accept what you have repressed and you will feel great freedom.
• Learn to love all that is in your life right NOW – not what you did have or will have.
• Freedom and happiness is right here, right now, ready for you to take it. It isn’t in some future thought, accomplishment or dream.
• Forgiveness is freedom.
• Always remember that emotions come and go, rise and fall.
• Resistance is the cause of every form of emotional pain.
• When you stop refusing, defying and fighting against yourself, other people and life, you stop suffering.
• Honor your emotions for the lessons they bring you in the moment.
• Let the pain exist. Be open to experiencing the pain. This is the secret to transcending the pain.
• The more you resist and fight against your pain, the more you suffer.
• Acknowledge the pain, but don’t become identified with it (e.g. “My body is aching, this is so terrible, I don’t want this to happen to me” VS. “Pain is there. I see it. I watch it. But it isn’t ‘me’.”)
• Every person who comes into your life is a potential teacher.
• People often reflect the most desirable and undesirable traits within you.
• To truly connect with another person, listen to and become insatiably interested in them.
• Unkindness, maliciousness and aggression is often the result of unresolved inner pain.
• The more you learn true empathy, the more you learn to understand and make peace with others.
• Most people are scared and in pain.
• Don’t ever expect to change another person. They will only change if they first decide to.
• God is an experience.
• Meditation is listening to God.
• You are an expression of Oneness. Your true nature has no name, no form, no identity, no limits.
- You are everything. You are eternal. You are God.
• Every single person in your life (regardless of position) is equal with you. Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re above, or below, another.
• You don’t owe anyone anything. Let love come from a place of freedom, not empty duty.
• No one can save you but yourself. You are the one you’ve been waiting for.
• You are the best friend you’ll ever have.
• No one can make you feel rotten without your permission.
• You are ultimately what you make of yourself.
• The only restrictions there are to your life are those you create and perpetuate.
• Your riches, beauty, popularity and health can be taken away, but your soul can never fade.
• The more you fear death, the more you fear living life.
• Every single person who has ever lived has been scared. It’s what you choose to do with that fear that counts.
• Accept unpredictability as a fact of life and learn to trust your own strength.
• Live simply: less is more.
• You never know when your life will end, so absorb the richness of life right now.
• Your house environment is a reflection of the state of your mind.
• The more things you gain, the more things you have to lose.
• Declutter your house and you will declutter your mind.
• Make time to connect with your childlike self. Curiosity never dies, it is only hidden.
• The only way to avoid a broken heart is to be open for your heart to break.
• True love is wild, undiscerning and limitless.
• In order to unconditionally love others you must first unconditionally love yourself.
• Love forgives all.
• If you love someone, let them fly free. They aren’t yours to keep and they never will be.
• Love expands.
• Gender, country, sexuality, religion, race and background are all irrelevant in the eyes of love.
• Love is truth and truth is love.
• Strength is showing your weakness.
• Black only exists in comparison to white.
• To experience joy we must experience pain.
• To be free, we must first experience servitude.
• The best way to receive is to give.
• The more you know, the more you know nothing.
I hope that you take the time to share your own precious epiphanies and current lessons learned below in the comments. Let’s create a temple of wisdom soul brothers and sisters!
Photo by: Steve Berardi