Spirit at the Crossings XII
The Spiritual Significance of the March Equinox 2017
In the Northern Hemisphere, the March Equinox represents the starting of Spring and a time where the energies of new birth and creativity are at their highest. In the Southern Hemisphere, the March Equinox symbolises the starting of Autumn, a time to release and let go of the old in order to prepare for the winter.
No matter where you live, the Equinox is a significant spiritual and astrological event that you can use to tap into the wisdom and energy of Mother Earth and the Universe.
Equinoxes happen twice a year and occur when the hours of light and dark are equal. There is rich symbolism here, which makes the Equinox a wonderful time to celebrate the duality of life.
On this physical realm, in this 3D world there is duality. On the energetic realms however, there is only one.
It is easy for us to rationalize and understand separation and duality with our logical minds, but when you enter into the higher realms, you understand that everything is connected and we are all one in the same.
This can be seen in the yin and yang symbol. There is a little bit of everything, in everything and together it all makes up a whole.
Perhaps we are reminded of this fact on the Equinox. There is no lightness reigning supreme over darkness, there is no darkness overcoming lightness, instead everything is in balance. This balance helps to remind us about the sweetness and bitterness to life. This balance also helps to remind us that, at the end of the day, we are all equal and we are all the same.
All of us here on this planet are simply on a journey. Even though our journeys may look different, they are probably more similar and connected than we realize.
The 2017 Equinox is the perfect time to honor all areas and aspects of your life and the circumstances that surround you.
It is the perfect time to bring acceptance to your life no matter the circumstances or the judgements over what is good and what is bad, and to instead honor the journey.
It is also a time to celebrate how far you have come and how much you have grown over the course of the year.
The March Equinox is also considered the start of the astrological new year. This is because the Sun shifts into the constellation of Aries, which is regarded as the first out of the 12 constellations used in astrology.
Whether you live in the Northern or Southern Hemisphere, the energy of Aries makes it a perfect time to start thinking about what is next and what you would like the next few months to feel like.
Perhaps make a list of all the feeling words you would like to create in your life moving forward and see if you can start creating those feelings in small ways every single day.
This year’s Equinox is the perfect time to honor the growth and the pain, the light and the darkness and all the experiences that have made you who you are today. It is the perfect time to love yourself and learn to find gratitude and peace with the journey you are on.
Ritual for the Spring Equinox
- around 10 brightly colored flowers
- 1 candle: green, pink, orange, yellow, blue, purple or white
- your favorite crystal
- Pen and paper
Find a quiet place to perform your ritual where you will not be disturbed. Outside in Nature works well for this.
- Holding your crystal, do a brief meditation to help clear your mind and calm your thoughts. Breathe deeply, in through your nose down into your stomach, filling it with your breath, then exhale, out through your nose again, as you contract your stomach. Do this five times.
- Write down on your piece of paper what you want to manifest or create.
- Arrange your flowers into a circle leaving one to the side for later.
- Place the candle and the piece of paper inside the circle. Keep holding the crystal.
- Say your intended manifestation aloud three times, then light the candle.
- Take in the energy of your sacred circle. Perhaps take a few deep breaths or meditate for a while longer.
- When you feel ready, release your intention out into the Universe by picking up your spare flower and throwing it up into the air. As you throw your flower, feel your intention being lifted up into the Universe.
- Leave your candle burning for as long as possible (but don’t leave candle unattended).
- If possible, place the flowers into a vase and keep them in your house.
PS: This ritual is also perfect for manifestation, protection and a clear mind throughout the year.